Saturday, May 22, 2010

Good Advice



I ran across the following letter on another message board.  I copy it here together with a follow-up but without the fellow's name.

Mark, thought you'd want to know: I just finished Mike Flynn's The January Dancer. Oh my freaking good golly, Mark, it is stunning. I am at an utter loss for words. I didn't think anything could top Eifelheim for emotional impact, but TJD does.

On to Up Jim River!

I cannot find it in me to disagree.  He responds to a comment as follows

I have been telling anyone willing to listen -- and a few who aren't willing -- that Eifelheim is probably on a par with The Lord of the Rings in its originality, depth, and emotional impact. It is simply that good.

The January Dancer is that good too. Besides being rollicking good space opera, its surprise-twist ending makes it rollicking good detective fiction as well. I was simply stunned at the conclusion, repeating to myself, "Why didn't I see that coming? All the ingredients were there!" as I read and re-read the last few pages. It is simply masterful.
This is almost too much.  I said "almost."  Is he wrong?  I might not compare it to LOTR; but neither do I think it sucks rocks.  I can only hope that his hyperbole on January Dancer does not set him up for a let-down on Up Jim River.  Besides, sales really ought to be better, I'm thinking. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm taking 'January' with me to Cambridge...I'll let you know.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Wonder and Anticipation, the Likes of Which We Have Never Seen

  Hello family, friends and fans of Michael F. Flynn.   It is with sorrow and regret that I inform you that my father passed away yesterday,...